Packaged The 7th Global Summit – 25-26 June 2018 - Hotel Okura Amsterdam, Ferdinand Bolstraat 333, 1072 LH Amsterdam, Netherlands
The summit is a great networking event and explores the latest innovations in interactive packaging, nanotechnology and active packaging. The event will also discover the advances being made in materials for enhanced product safety and security.
Graham Bonwick - "Agricultural by-products for shelf life extension"– (day 2 - June 26) 13.55-14.30.
Agricultural by-products for shelf life extension
- Sustainability and food security are global priorities and innovations in packaging technology can make a significant contribution the achievement of these goals.
- Processing of agricultural by-products can provide new materials which may have applications in areas as food ingredients or in packaging.
- Initial work has demonstrated that a range of novel materials including nanofibers can be produced from agricultural by-products.
- The properties of these new materials such as anti-microbial activity and anti-oxidant capacity will be evaluated and their potential application for shelf life extension.
- Comparisons with other natural nanomaterials derived from agricultural waste will be made. Future research strategies and applications to the packaging of food or other materials will be discussed
Lead Scientist, Institute of Agri-Food Research & Innovation
University of Newcastle