New and emerging novel foods - the UK regulatory system, market development, safety, and innovation in the food sector
This conference focuses on the regulation of new and emerging novel foods in the UK - including the way forward for policy following the UK’s exit from the EU, how regulation is responding to innovation in the food sector, and the role of novel food methods in addressing food system challenges.
Areas for discussion include:
- establishing the UK regulatory system for novel foods - managing a smooth transition, new opportunities and challenges, and the future relationship with the EU
- market development - improving access to novel food products across the plant-based sector, as well as insect foods and CBD
- safety - ensuring that consumers are protected as the sector grows
- research and development - priorities for driving forward innovation in the food sector, and how the regulatory system can keep pace
- sustainable food production - the role of novel foods, and the next steps for meeting strategic challenges within the food system
The discussion is bringing together stakeholders with key policy officials who are due to attend from Defra; DHSC; the CCC; the FSA; Food Standards Scotland; BEIS; DIT; the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office; and the Welsh Government.